PBS KIDS Family Engagement Toolkit
Weekly Parent Guide
The PBS KIDS Family Engagement Toolkit developed by WestEd enables to local PBS stations, outreach staff, community partners, and other interested educators to train parents and caregivers to successfully integrate PBS KIDS videos, online games, and other activities into their daily family life in order to enhance their children’s mathematical development. The Toolkit includes a Facilitator Guide for conducting weekly parent engagement meetings, and a Parent Curriculum that focuses on on- and off-line activities for parents to do with their children at home.
The Facilitator Guide offers instructions facilitating weekly one-hour parent meetings where parents are introduced to the weekly themes and daily activities, and share their experiences with each other.
Each weekly session includes:
- A list of materials facilitators will need
- Scripts for introducing each week’s math concept
- Suggestions for helping parents explore that week’s PBS KIDS videos, on-line games, and offline activitesAdvice for facilitating small group sharing of experiences using the prior week’s content
The Parent Curriculum that provides families with step-by-step instructions for engaging with PBS KIDS math resources and extending the math lessons into everyday life.
Each weekly lesson includes:
- An overview of the week’s activities
- A list of materials families will need
- Pre-game activities designed to build background knowledge
- Descriptions of the week’s games
- Suggestions for how to interact with the child during game play
Week 1: CountingPBS KIDS GAMESPBS KIDS VIDEOS
- Counting Chickens WATCH
Week 2: Numbers
Week 3: Counting Backwards & Skip Counting
Week 4: AdditionPBS KIDS GAMES
Week 5: Comparing and Sharing
Week 6: ShapesPBS KIDS GAMES
Week 7: Advanced Shapes